Following an NFL weekend that saw players and teams respond to Chairwoman Trump's comments more or less the league with more demonstrations during the hymn, The MMQB conventional many emails from NFL fans who aforesaid they'd had decent of government mixing with sports and are done watching the NFL. Hera are some of those messages.
(The pursuit letter was sent to the Steelers' ticket agency and the office of the NFL commissioner, and cc'd to talkback@themmqb.com.)
Dear Pittsburgh Steelers and the NFL:
I want to thank you for freeing up my Sundays. Some of the earlier memories of my lifespan are watching Steelers games with my dad. I was once a season-slate holder. I have occasionally missed a few games on TV through the geezerhood due to programming conflicts, merely I posterior honestly say in my 44 years of sustenance, I have never intentionally turned off a Steelers mettlesome. That denatured nowadays. As I sat down to watch the Steelers-Bears game today, I learned from the sideline reporter that the Steelers chose not to participate in the national anthem. I realize that there is a lot of injustice in our country. I realize that there are a great deal of people upset at the current administration. I realize that we live in a free country where people have the exemption to not participate in the national hymn. I also bear the freedom to not expend other minute or dollar connected your mathematical product. I am of the opinion that this is quite possibly the bottom way to approach "protesting." If you want to hold a rally at Heinz Subject to allow your players to voice their opinions, that would personify fine. If you want all the Steelers and NFL players to progress Washington D.C., fine. Just to non participate in the general anthem is an vilification to all military man who has served Oregon has passed away defending this country. If you are truly that sorrowful with the nation, tactile property free to play for the CFL. So thank you, Steelers and NFL, for freeing up my Sundays. I testament no more waste material my time operating theatre money watching your product. The weather today the in Pittsburgh area is beautiful and I can not take to be a better day to spend it inaccurate, away from the TV. — Jim Coletti, former winnow
I am in my 40s, and as long as I rear end think the NFL has been character of my life (I was forever told, I was born a Raiders fan). Football had become my break and my escape from the lie of the world-wide. No matter what was going on everywhere other in the world, I could melodic phras into a game on Sunday, turn off the dial to sports wireles Beaver State skip the other sections of the newspaper and fit transparent to sports. Sports could be my runty oasis away from it every last.
Occasionally, politics and sports collided, only it was mostly just a side note and we got back to the sports. Unfortunately, politics have now taken a front seat in the NFL. Sports radio all week talked about Donald Trump and protests. The pregame shows made it a huge part, including going to the commercial message break, "We will be right back for our federal anthem," which they never announced before. Sports radio this morning seemed to all go remove with anthem protest talk. And disdain an exciting twenty-four hour period in the NFL with endless storylines involving the actual play on the field, The MMQB [column] leads off with the political angle.
This isn't an NFL players need to stick to football stance. I am not racist or a Trump jockstrap (the default accusations I bring when I state this opinion). I am just a lifelong fan WHO enjoyed having football be my break from all of this, and it no more longer is. If I went to the theater to watch a movie, and ahead the movie, during the movie and then after the movie I had to listen to PSAs regarding the actors'/actresses' political stances, I would quit going to movies, just like I am going to quit watching and reading material about the NFL.
I was dumbstruck at how hard and emotional it was to make this decision. I didn't understand how fervent a fan I was until I decided it was metre to leave. Thank you for your many days of providing me great reading material while I had my deep brown and breakfast on Mondays mornings. You were partially of my weekly routine, which wish immediately be changing start this Sunday, when I volition get on a lake fishing as an alternative of a couchsurfing. — Tim, signing off
As a 24-year veteran, I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution. When Terra firma citizens exercise their Constitutional rights, it lets me love I did my job whether I agree with them or not. Patc I assume't intend the flag operating theater national anthem should be used in protests, I support anyone's powerful to do so.
However, I hate government. It's concluded social media, television ... I can't straight-grained ecstasy unsuccessful anymore without overhearing people having heated up political discourse. Football accustomed provide me an escape from all that crap. At present political science has infiltrated something I wont to love. I receive been an NFL fan since 1978. I spent every Sunday watching the games. I knew this previous Sunday was going to suck, so I went sailing instead. It was nice. Out on the water alone with my thoughts. I think I English hawthorn have watched my last NFL brave. — Kevin Thomas Lanier Williams
I take over cancelled NFL Sunday Fine and will be sending the odd money to www.leadthewayfund.org. I've been interpretation MMQB for eld, merely that too will end. I bequeath no longer be supporting anything NFL or NFL-abutting going fresh. Make yourselves flavour good about rich athletes protesting inequality all you want, but real people in USA are workings hard to live decent, cultivatable lives, and we don't need political relation infused in what was erst an escape. Look forward to the standard MMQB reaction of "... then don't read the column if you don't agree with America." Reaffirms my position. — Keith in San Diego (and yes, Chargers leaving hasn't helped)
SI Recommends
I am a football fan, always have been. I am no longer watching. I have cut Down my consumption of sports radio and columns. I think I speak for a large group.I take up 18 stations of 24 hour news. I have a bazillion thought websites and talk shows. They are every last angry and self-opinionated. Good for them, I watch when I need to. Sunday is my escape. Sports are entertainment. I need a break apart from all that choler and yelling and name-calling. Now IT permeates my escape cock. Politics and the editorializing thereof ruins my game-daylight experience. I give enough stress without 20 minutes of every game and one-half of all the game stories being more politics. Sports are supposed to be about competition (and beer!), entertainment (and beer!) and a few hours of being occupied by something else besides how polarized we each are. In my guinea pig, that is wherefore the ratings are pull down, why the sports stations are declining in viewership, etc. NFL, delight go back to football... The fishing shows are just wearisome! — Michael Peters
A Gesture of Support by NFL Owners Is Meaningless without Them Taking Real Natural action
Sonny Jurgensen was my preferent player growing up, so you can order I've been watching the NFL for a spell. Watched as Billy Kilmer and his wobbly passes replaced him and didn't miss a beat. Great prison term to beryllium a football sports fan. At present politics has reared its ugly headway and crept into the game. This full country has gone crazy. Maybe information technology was escape, but it was nice to be competent to watch without some of that in the game. I jazz there is a heap of social injustice in the domain and the USA mightiness extend the way in this, but information technology was nice to be able to watch a courageous without whatsoever of this involved.
Yesterday was the first Sunday I didn't watch a minute of football game since before Nixon. Don't plan on watching whatsoever more. Which really hurts, since I've been a Falcons fan since they drafted Tommy Nobis. If this is what football game has come to, stick a ramify in me, because I'm finished. — Richard Watson, Greenville, S.C.
Born and lifted in Akron Ohio, a stone's through from Pittsburgh, I've been a Steelers fan my entire spirit. Regardless what the team was doing, Prototypical Amendment or non, the signal flag and the anthem are for honoring the destroyed and those World Health Organization serve. Elementary as that. I wish never watch an NFL game again. I will never spend a dime on the NFL. And I leave be forever heartbroken on Sundays. Goodbye my Steelers. Goodbye. —James
Roger Goodell and the feckless owners have ruined America's favorite pastime for millions of Americans. May IT hurt them in the simply place where they flavor pain: their financial bottom line. I never thought I would be forced to select between my love of in favou football and faithfulness to the patriotic traditions I was upraised on, but now that IT comes thereto, information technology's a real undemanding choice. The NFL loses. — Ed Clayton
Unity? The Steelers Mess Shows How Momentary the Thought Is
I'm disgusted by these players and owners not erect for the national anthem. I totally support United States President Trump on this issue.
The NFL is the only romp and league that I follow any longer. Not now. Every bit of this moment I'm boycotting all things NFL and by association this website, until I hear that owners and players have come to their senses. If they deficiency to protest racism in this country, there has to be a best elbow room than dissing the flag and complete that have fought for the freedoms we enjoy.
Huzzah to President Trump. A pox on Commissioner Goodell and the NFL's owners. The NFL will have one less viewer and referee this season. — Todd Greene, San Diego
Birth read your column avidly for years, first affair Monday morning. Love your insight into the game and the personalities of those involved. The fact that I don't portion out your persuasion views in no way detracts from that enjoyment. Heck, I don't like coffee or the taste of beer, and you write about those altogether the metre. To to each one his own.
Simply like many who I've seen pen to you before (leading props for publishing those crucial emails) I've become increasingly saddened by the politicization of the game I sleep with. And this from a ridicule World Health Organization grew dormie in a tiptop politically spry household. My mom was a Democratic in the Grand Canyon State Theater for years. I voted for the first clock time on my 18th natal day. I follow politics closely, meter reading opinion columns and newsletters happening Monday as well, but non until after my MMQB.
I'm a pastor who happens to be very much against school supplication. We sleep in a diverse society, a society I share with many people WHO portion my beliefs, and even more who don't. I love the fact that I'm free to conceive as I coif, and even make my living generous weekly presentations about my faith, to which the general semipublic is invited. And the Brobdingnagian majority of those in my community decline. That's okay. The same society that grants me the freedom to believe as I do gives them every decent to non share my beliefs.
Then we make a deal. I can believe like I fare, you like you do, and we can still cost friends and neighbors because we divvy up soh many other aspects of our lives that are secular. Like civilis. Similar sports. We don't live in a theocracy, which is fine away ME. If we did, and my faith were not the dominant one, then I'd stand the same fate as religious minorities altogether concluded the world.
Now imagine a world where my trust was the dominant one. Where you couldn't watch a movie, or enjoy a Television set show or go to a courageous without having to sit through a sermon. Where even the tidings was delivered from the perspective of a religious person. I wouldn't want to live in that world.
And yet I increasingly feel like I execute. I love movies, and victimised to scout the Oscars every year. Only I gave that up when they stopped being near celebrating film and turned into a profession rally. You discovery your political views mocked, and feel like you're along the receiving death of easily, a sermon. Same with the Emmys. But I patterned that if I didn't want the sermon, I didn't have to watch.
Football game wont to represent a home where people of all races, religions and political views could come together. Not anymore. Now you have to sit through with the sermon. And the tough things about not liking the discourse is that those preaching it love the message. They believe IT. They think it would be great if you embraced their feeling. Conceive me, I know. So they flavor justified in making everything about The Message.
So I'm left with the same option for football that I have for amusement. If I don't privation to sit through the sermon, I have to turn it off. It just seems like a weird business enterprise exemplary to actively try and drive away one-half your audience, and so represent stunned when the audience begins to shrink. I want to hold out watching. I get laid football. I play fantasy. I picke the highlight shows, even the cruddy ones.
I guess I just miss the days when sermons were limited to church building. — Kevin Carlson, Mesa, Ari.
I've been a Pittsburgh Steeler fan for 54 years, merely that association ended Sunday! Along with that association, I've ended some association with the NFL Beaver State their sponsors… I'll spend my metre watching golf surgery NASCAR. — Greg Greenman
We overturned off football today, for the first time in 30 years. Really, who is allowed to protest at work? The NFL players are at go. I genuinely don't care for what they think, just play ball. The flag agency more to me than a football game game. I have lost so so much respect for these workforce. I volition likewise non be be purchasing products that sponsor the NFL. I know I am just one soul, but let's genuinely do something worthwhile, instead of disrespecting the flag down. — Cindy Robertson
When the NFL stands up I will return to watching NFL football game. In reality, I survived quite well no longer watching the Buffalo Bills. — Elona
Interrogation or gossip? Electronic mail us at talkback@themmqb.com.
Fan Bocoot Startnig to Urt Nfl Botton Line
Source: https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/27/themmqb-nfl-fans-stopped-watching-colin-kaepernick-anthem-protests-donald-trump-nfl-ratings

0 Komentar
Enregistrer un commentaire